Original topics. Student-led. Discussion-based.
Democratic Education: Where people are not passive recipients of knowledge, but rather are active co-creators of their own learning
In December 2014, the UCR Academic Senate approved the offering of student-initiated courses, also known as R’Courses. These student-initiated courses designed by undergraduates and taken by other undergraduates at UCR are based on the idea of Democratic Education; creating a community of equals, upholding values such as social justice, respect, and active and engaging participation.
R’Courses support students’ efforts to develop leadership skills, to innovate the undergraduate curriculum, and to promote democratic, experiential education on campus. Students from any undergraduate degree program at UCR are invited to design and lead their own original courses.
These courses are 1 unit, S/NC offerings facilitated by UCR undergraduate students. Each course has a faculty instructor of record who provides mentoring and support behind the scenes. The Office of Center for Undergraduate Research and Engaged Learning works with the R’Course Governing Board to review R’Course proposals, coordinate course activities with academic departments, provide student facilitator training, and facilitate student recruitment.
For more information on leading a R'Course of your own, visit our Create a Course page.
Read this great article from UCR Magazine article featuring Neima, a math major and transfer student who graduated spring 2019, and his creation of an R'Course. Neima's course was designed around his passion for math and the presentation of accessible problem solving to students of all backgrounds and abilities.
Classes for Winter 2024:
- BUS 198: Natural Language Processing Tools for Personal, Creative, and Academic Use
- EDUC 198: Can We Trust the Health Industry?
- EDUC 198: Disneyland Imagineer
- EDUC 198: Health Justice: Examining the Biases & Restrictions on Marginalized Patients in Our Healthcare System
- EDUC 198: Public Health in Inland Southern California
- EDUC 198: Understanding Disabilities and Inequities Among People with Disabilities in the Inland Empire
- EDUC 198: Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder
- HIST 198: The Assassin Brotherhood in History
- NASC 198: Emerging Cancer Treatments in the 21st Century
- NASC 198: An R^2 Course: Unlocking the Basics of Coding in R
- POSC 190: The Future of War
- POSC 190: International Relations as a Function of Spaceflight
- PSYC 198: Media and the Mind: A Deep Dive on Mental Health Through Media
- TFDP 190: Theater, Film and Digital Production: The Ultimate Maker Workshop
Visit the Take a Course page for course scheduling information and to join our information list to find out when our courses have been scheduled.
Visit our Courses page for descriptions of the courses, and a listing of all past R’Courses that have been offered at UCR since 2014.
Upcoming Events - R'Courses
The events system only shows the next upcoming event. If you do not see an event at your desired time, select the event and check the event details for more offerings.