Original topics. Student-led. Discussion-based.
Democratic Education: Where people are not passive recipients of knowledge, but rather are active co-creators of their own learning
In December 2014, the UCR Academic Senate approved the offering of student-initiated courses, also known as R’Courses. These student-initiated courses designed by undergraduates and taken by other undergraduates at UCR are based on the idea of Democratic Education; creating a community of equals, upholding values such as social justice, respect, and active and engaging participation.
R’Courses support students’ efforts to develop leadership skills, to innovate the undergraduate curriculum, and to promote democratic, experiential education on campus. Students from any undergraduate degree program at UCR are invited to design and lead their own original courses.
These courses are 1 unit, S/NC offerings facilitated by UCR undergraduate students. Each course has a faculty instructor of record who provides mentoring and support behind the scenes. The Office of Student Engagement works with the R’Course Governing Board to review R’Course proposals, coordinate course activities with academic departments, provide student facilitator training, and facilitate student recruitment.
For more information on leading a R'Course of your own, visit our Create a Course page.
Read this great article from UCR Magazine article featuring Neima, a math major and transfer student who graduated spring 2019, and his creation of an R'Course. Neima's course was designed around his passion for math and the presentation of accessible problem solving to students of all backgrounds and abilities.
Upcoming classes for Fall 2022:
- PHIL 198: What Games Do: Play, Agency, and You
- PSYC 198: Cognitive Assessments and Their Applications
- TFDP 190: Diversity in Animation
- EDUC 198: Understanding Social and Behavioral Aspects of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- RLST 190: Buddha's Brain: Consciousness, Death and Neuroplasticity
- ETST 198: Venimos a Triunfar” - Undocumented Latinx/a/o Counterspaces
- EDUC 198: Public Health Principles and Implementations in Riverside County and the Inland Empire
- PHIL 198: Conscious Shopping in the Ever-Changing World
- PSYC 198: Psychology of the US Prison System
Visit the Take a Course page for course scheduling information and to join our information list to find out when our courses have been scheduled.
Visit our Courses page for descriptions of the courses, and a listing of all past R’Courses that have been offered at UCR since 2014.
Upcoming Events - R'Courses
The events system only shows the next upcoming event. If you do not see an event at your desired time, select the event and check the event details for more offerings.